Your air conditioner is working perfectly: it’s chilling the air, it’s quiet when it runs, and it doesn’t take long to cool off the house. But it’s been a while. What gives?
It’s starting to get suspicious. Before you need air conditioning repair in Sarasota, FL, you can stop (most) problems from popping up with preventative maintenance.
Let’s run you through a few things you can do to check on your air conditioner and know if those inevitable repairs are looming around the corner.
Do a Quick Check-Up on Your Air Conditioner
If everything seems like it’s running just fine, that’s good, but there are other warning signs that you may not have noticed at first. Let’s go over a few of them now so you can know what to look for.
- High Indoor Humidity: Your air conditioner also helps regulate the humidity in your home. If you notice excess moisture and condensation on the inside of your windows, or you feel the need to run a dehumidifier, then your AC simply isn’t up to snuff. It needs repairs.
- Running Twice: Your air conditioner should only need to run for around 15 to 20 minutes to achieve the desired temperature you set on the thermostat. If it has to restart halfway through the cycle, it’s beginning to short cycle. This could mean your evaporator coil is beginning to freeze, or you have a power draw problem.
- Running Too Long: Instead of running in short bursts, you notice that it’s running for way, way too long. If this is coupled with high indoor humidity, your air conditioner is basically holding on by a thread. Your AC shouldn’t have to run continuously to bring down the temperature.
- Unusual Sounds: Your AC isn’t exactly quiet or completely silent, but if the noises that it makes are thunderous, abrupt, or startle you, it’s a sign that something’s wrong. A technician will be able to diagnose the problem further as it can stem from multiple sources.
- Bad Airflow: Put your hand up to one of your vents. Does the air coming out have some amount of force to it, or does it feel more like a draft? You want some amount of push, like if you turned a fan on its lowest setting. Check the air filter, change it out, and see if that fixes the problem. If not, make the call.
Maintenance is the Answer
To prevent these problems from happening to the best of your ability, make sure you schedule annual maintenance appointments. Here in Sarasota, our air conditioners are doing extra work compared to other areas in the country. You have to keep it in tip-top shape year-round.
If the problems are bigger than you thought, air conditioner repair may be required. Our technicians will diagnose the issue and provide a solution that restores your comfort as soon as possible.
Contact Jim McDonald & Sons Heating & Cooling Inc. today to set up your next AC repair. Cooling Sarasota and Manatee Counties since 1970.